About Me

My photo
I appreciate good dental hygiene and mustaches. I drink a lot of coffee.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You've been schooled.

What was your favorite part about going to school? Mine was coloring and drinking juice boxes all day. And then I grew up and the subjects got harder but I made friends that I like better than coloring. I was really blessed to go to an amazing school. I had wonderful Christian teachers who actually cared about my well-being and helped me in my spiritual walk. This is how school is supposed to be. Other than our parents, teachers have the most influence in our lives. Can you imagine having corrupt teachers? Maybe some of your teachers were. Read the following article and become aware of abuse that is occurring within the educational system in New Mexico.

22 teachers in NM lose their licenses.

Discussion Questions: What kind of a school did you attend (Public, private, home school...?) How do you think this influenced you? In what ways would your education have been altered had you been a student of one of these teachers? How do you think the students of one of these abusive teachers will ultimately view the educational system? In what ways do you think their view of authority has been altered? What do you think would cause these teachers to abuse their power? In which instances do you think it is appropriate to revoke an educational license? Who do you think has the responsibility to keep teachers in check? Who do you think could have intervened before these educators were given the opportunity to take advantage of the children? What might be some warning signs of a potentially abusive teacher? Why do you think the parents were oblivious to the abuse going on in the schools? Do you think they had an idea? How can parents become more involved in their kid's education and avoid this from happening again?

No comments:

Post a Comment