About Me

My photo
I appreciate good dental hygiene and mustaches. I drink a lot of coffee.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Karate Kid in all of us.

When I was a kid one of my favorite things to do was wrestle with my dad. I always won too. I remember one time in elementary school I was telling my friend Josh how strong I was because I always won when I wrestled with my dad. I didn't believe him when he told me that my dad was probably just letting me win. We are blessed to have fond childhood memories. We are entitled to them. Childhood should be filled with loving memories of times spent with our parents. But for some kids it isn't. Some kids don't get to pretend they're the Karate Kid and try out their new moves on their poor defenseless dad. But fortunately for the children at risk in Jaco, Costa Rica, there's a Scott Freeman to be a surrogate punching bag (and I mean that in the best way possible.) This afternoon I had the priveledge to watch four kids beat up my "boss" Scott Freeman. Usually I freak out when there's fighting at the ramp, but for today, it was okay. I'm not sure how it started, but it was a lot of fun to watch. I watched four young boys gang up and take on Scott. You should have seen their faces light up with every swing and kick. What a blessing it was for those four little boys to be able to play and goof off with a male role model. I was blessed by just watching this scene. I wish that every kid had that kind of opportunity. Can you imagine the world if every child had a dad or a Scott in their lives?

Shortly after the sparring session, a water fight broke out. Hoses, plastic cups, pans, and buckets were involved. I had so much fun. The kids had so much fun. By the end of the battle, it looked like a thunder storm had decided only to visit our little property. Water was everywhere and everyone was soaked. You cannot schedule that kind of joy. You cannot plan for that kind of spontaneous, crazy joy. It comes naturally from relationship. It comes from playing monopoly and coloring with kids for hours on end until they trust you and love you enough to dump a bucket of water all over your head. They can splash and soak you and know that they are loved. They know that they are loved and they expect to be splashed right back. So we finished off our day wet and happy with our love tanks filled to the brim, and it looked a little something like this.

1 comment: