About Me

My photo
I appreciate good dental hygiene and mustaches. I drink a lot of coffee.

Monday, November 21, 2011

...and I'm a Mormon.

As of late, I've been going to the dentist a lot. Not that I needed a reminder why no one likes going to the dentist. But as it is, I've been there twice already this week. My aunt works in a dentist's office and was kind enough to get me an appointment while I was visiting during the Thanksgiving holiday. And hopefully by Thanksgiving the numbing medicine will have worn off. 

My aunt introduced me to most of the people who worked in the office and it spread pretty quickly that I had done missions work in Latin America. My dental hygienist was very friendly and talked a lot. Have you ever tried to have a conversation with a dental hygienist, dentist, or orthodontist? Do they actually expect you to talk back with cotton and their fingers in your mouth? Silly notion if you ask me. But I do appreciate a friendly demeanor just as much as I appreciate sunshine and good dental hygiene. So my dental hygienist asked me about my mission work, turns out her son is in the Peace Corp in Mongolia. She then proceeded to tell me how much it costs to send a care package to Mongolia. If you can't think of anything to be thankful for on Thursday, be thankful you don't have to shell out enough dough to pay for a package to Mongolia. She then asked me a question that took me aback. Because of the missionary work I had done, she asked, "So are you a Mormon?" I was shocked and maybe even a bit offended for some reason or other. Like something I had done inspired her question-- like I was guilty or something and that's why she asked if I was a Mormon. I'm sure my facial expression changed as I shot back a quick no and told her quite firmly that I was Christian. Truth is that her question got me thinking. It makes sense-- her assumption was logical. Why is it that we as Christians are so slow on the uptake?


I really respect Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't agree with them--  but I respect them. They've got at least one thing right. They tell others about their faith. They tell everyone! They go on missions trips and spread their faith openly and boldly. What if we were like that? What if we were more like Mormons? What if we actually believed what we say we do-- wouldn't that mean that we would tell others about it? About the inexplicable joy and freedom of salvation? What if we went out into the world and made disciples like we were commanded in Matthew 28? What if we one-upped the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses? Why not? After all we do have truth on our side. 


So I will ask again, Why are we as Christians so slow on the uptake? Even if you could think of an excuse--it wouldn't be good enough. I say that we shake things up a bit. When people think missions let's make them think Christianity. 



1 comment: