About Me

My photo
I appreciate good dental hygiene and mustaches. I drink a lot of coffee.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Costa Rica is Gnarly!

Greetings from the beautiful but very HOT Costa Rica! I arrived yesterday morning at 5:00 in the morning. In less than twenty-four hours I had been in three different countries. I left Mexico, flew out of Los Angeles, and arrived in Costa Rica. Despite being extremely exhausted and extremely sweaty, we're having a jolly good time. Yesterday on the drive from the airport to Jaco, I saw crocodiles. Seeing crocodiles is exciting enough, but these ones were HUGE. And when I say huge I mean HUGE. A couple of them had heads about the size of my torso. Yeah. Just try picturing that. I also saw an iguana, and although I've seen an iguana before, this was also huge! Probably bigger than my puppy Pickle. The atmosphere here is very jungle-ish and beach-y. It is beautiful. There are mountains to the east and the ocean to the west. Very tropical. We have mango trees right outside our door. My friends Robbie, Lisa, and I are sharing a little one room apartment right outside downtown Jaco. We'll be riding bikes everywhere. I don't have a bike yet, hopefully I'll be able to get one next week. My poor friend Lisa has been chauffering me around on the front of her bike. We deffinitely stick out when we ride down the street. It's a pretty funny sight. I hold on for dear life and try not to freak out while Lisa avoids other people on bikes (including Robbie) and cars. So far we're still intact. Costa Rica is very hot. VERY HOT. Intolerably hot.... and apparently the weather so far has been unusually cool! I can't even believe it. I am not in Michigan anymore. Or Tijuana. I am not adjusted yet, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I ever will be. This is the farthest south I have ever been. Have I mentioned it's hot yet? I think you get the point. Here, deoderant is proof of God's provision. Today to escape the heat, we went to the beach and went swimming. I have never felt water that warm. The ocean was so nice and the waves are even bigger than In Tijuana. And the current is stronger. It's the perfect place for surfers. Looks like I'm going to have to learn! Do you want to know something funny about surfers? They actually say gnarly! I thought that was just a stereotype. Nope, they actually say gnarly. Just a little fun fact. I'll try to keep everyone posted on what's happening in my life but I'm afraid it will be a little difficult since I don't have internet at my house yet! Just so you know. If you try to contact me and I don't respond right away, don't freak out! Hopefully we'll be able to get internet sooner rather than later. We'll just have to see. So as they say in Costa Rica, "Pura Vida!" (It means "Hang Loose!)

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so excited for you, Liz!!!! Que te vaya bien!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pura Vida! Hi Liz, I went to school with your Mom at Hillsdale. We were in Costa Rica last year. It is the Pura Life! Can't wait to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete