About Me

My photo
I appreciate good dental hygiene and mustaches. I drink a lot of coffee.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Scoop.

Well, I've been in Jaco, Costa Rica just over a week! Crazy how this place will be my home for the next six months! Perhaps you're wondering what I've been up to so far and what I will be doing with my time here. So, here goes. For the next two weeks I am participating in a workshop called Celebrating Children with The Women and Children's Advocacy Centre. In the mornings I sit in on the classes (which are basically a little recap of what I've been learning the last three months) and in the afternoons I learn how to give the seminar. In theory, after these two weeks I'll be able to teach the seminar on how to work with kids. Yikes. Kind of intimidating when you have experts with degrees and years of experience in the same classroom. So what else is up here? My apartment is right above a hostel called Christian Surfers. On the Christian Surfers' property is a skate ramp and some rails. Five days a week we open up the property for kids to come and skate for a few hours and just hang out. We've met a few of the kids but unfortunately none of us skate! But I believe in this ministery because it gives the kids a safe place to hang out and build healthy relationships. Also, last Saturday Lisa, Robbie, and I went to Kid's Club at The River. The River is a Nicaraguan squatter camp. Basically what that means is that all of the people living in this little community are impoverished refugees from Nicaragua. In the River there are no fathers. Almost all of the men in this community have abandoned their families. In order to cope with the loneliness, most of the women have turned to alcohol, drugs, or complete indifference to their children. Kids growing up in The River are children at risk. There's so much need there. I hope that in these next six months there will be a major change in the lives of the residents in The River. Human Trafficking and child prostitution are also rampant in Jaco. I would love to see how I can help put an end to this injustice in Jaco. I'm not sure what my part will be in hindering prostituion but I'm excited to help out however I can. Unfortunately, I am not Liam Neeson and I will not be opperating like he did in the movie Taken. Guess I'll have to rely on God rather than my ninja powers. I think God is better anyway. In a week or so I'll be headed to San Jose, the capital city. I'll be taking a few Spanish lessons and checking out a kids' ministry. Hopefully with the Spanish classes, I can learn how to speak like a Costa Rican! The Spanish here is so different from the Spanish in Mexico. Sometimes I feel like pulling my hair out. I think it would keep my head cooler too! Also I'll be helping out with Metro Kids Ministry. See how it works and what I can apply when working with the kids in Jaco. So that's the scoop! Now you know almost everything I know. If you're interested in helping out I need HEAPS of PRAYER. I am sick.... again. This is the FOURTH time in FOUR months I've been sick. It's the pits. I'm having a hard time pooring myself out with I'm sick. Also I'm still short on finances. I'll be here for six months... right now I have enough money to pay for two or three months of my expenses. I appreciate everyone's support! Thank you all for blessing me and for all of the prayer!! I hope you all are as joyful and blessed as I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment